The 8th Ministerial Conference of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC), held from 29th –30th November 2021, adopted the Dakar Action Plan (2022–2024). The Action Plan, among other things, stresses China’s continued commitment to extend support to African higher education institutions, think tanks and relevant researches. The Action Plan also emphasizes that peace and security in Africa remains an important part of the cooperation and that China and Africa will continue cooperating in peace and security issues by, inter alia, holding a China- Africa Forum on Peace and Security.
To this end, and through the generous support of the Embassy of China in Ethiopia, the Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) of Addis Ababa University has unveiled a research grant opportunity. The grant is aimed at supporting Four (4) relevant researches by PhD students of Addis Ababa University. The researches should ideally be within the framework of China-Africa relations with a particular focus on peace, security, development, governance, democracy and human rights.
Applicants should be Ph.D. students in any given discipline of the Social Sciences in Addis Ababa University and should have at least defended their proposals.
How to Apply?
An application should include the following:
- An admission letter to a relevant Ph.D. programme;
- Concept note, not more than 2,000 words including footnotes and references;
- A recent curriculum vitae with a list of publications;
- A letter of recommendation from a PhD Supervisor or Head of Department;
- Motivation letter that clearly indicates how the applicant’s proposed research contributes to a better understanding of China-Africa relations.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
The complete application should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject “Application for China-Africa Relations Call” before 31st December 2022.