Tuning Higher – Education for Africa’s Peace & Security Agenda
Venue: Online via Google Meet, Register here
The role of higher-education institutions in Africa’s peace and security agenda is defined by the African Union’s Continental Education Strategy for Africa (CESA) 2016-2025 in its stipulated objectives. It is the reason why the Africa Peace and Security Program, under the auspices of the Institute for Peace and Security Studies at Addis Ababa University was specially mandated by the AU to address the intellectual challenge of peace and security affairs on the continent. The contribution of higher education institutions on the AU theme of “Silencing the Guns in Africa” continues to be crucial, considering the impact of their research and graduate outputs on societal dynamics.
In line with this approach, the “Tuning Higher Education for Africa’s Peace & Security Agenda” project will focus on building a community of academic experts who will harmonize and standardize degrees that offer peace or security studies within Africa. This group (technically-oriented) will collaborate in broad consultation exercises on how the designing of degree profiles that cover the generic and subject-specific competences related to Peace or Security should be approached in terms of mutually defined standards and benchmarks.
Therefore, the University of Deusto (as the Tuning Academy experts on harmonization) and the Institute for Peace and Security Studies (as the AU-mandated higher education institution) plan to organize a virtual Initial Consultative Workshop/Conference. Following the deliberation of the workshop, a technical working group (TWG) will be formed and thus tasked with delivering the necessary follow-up consultation exercises. Under the coordination and hosting of an appropriately selected institution, the TWG on Tuning Higher Education for Peace & Security in Africa (THEPSA) will be concerned with maintaining a database of all relevant HEI’s, their degree programs, and profiles. The convening of technical forums and sourcing of funding for related projects will also be the responsibility of this TWG, in collaboration with stipulated partners.
- Dr. Yonas Adaye Adeto, Director, Institute for Peace & Security Studies, Addis Ababa University – Ethiopia.
- H.E. Prof. Sarah Anyang Agbor, Commissioner for Human Resources, Science and Technology, African Union (AU).
THEPSA: An Overview and Introduction of the Program
Prof. Alex Rayón Jerez, Vice-Rector, International Relations, University of Deusto (Tuning Academy)
- H.E. Prof. Sarah Anyang Agbor, Commissioner for Human Resources, Science & Technology (HRST), African Union (AU).
- Prof. Cheryl Hendricks, Executive Director, Africa Institute of South Africa (AISA) & Professor of Political Science at the University of Johannesburg.
- Prof. Sergio Caballero, Vice Dean, Department of International Relations, University of Deusto (Tuning Academy)