Launch of the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Post Conflict Societies
Venue: Online via KUDO, Webinar Guidelines
The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) of the Addis Ababa University (AAU) is one of the prominent institutions for higher education, research and policy dialogues on peace and security in Africa. IPSS has been hosting the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) Center of Excellence (CoE) for post-conflict societies since January 2018, whose major objectives include but not limited to: (a) facilitating and advancing the generation of African-led research knowledge in the broad areas of conflict prevention, management, post-conflict reconstruction as well as development, and (b) disseminating the research outputs by providing platforms for learners and educators at national, regional, continental and global levels.
Moreover, the Institute runs the Africa’s Peace and Security Programme (APSP), a joint initiative with the African Union, to take up the intellectual challenges of finding African-led solutions to peace and security problems in Africa. The Institute also serves as a Secretariat for Tana High-Level Security Forum(‘Tana Forum’ for short), which is composed of former and current heads of states/governments of Africa and beyond, leaders of civil society, grassroots, the media and academic institutions and citizens from across the globe. Tana Forumconvenes annually to critically deliberate on the pertinent security, peace and development issues in Africa at Bahr Dar, on the edge of Lake Tana, the source of the Blue Nile, in the Amhara Regional State of Ethiopia.
Welcome Address: Dr. Yonas Adaye Adeto, Director, Institute for Peace and Security Studies, Addis Ababa University.
Keynote Address : Prof. Tasew Woldehana, President, Addis Ababa University / Dr. Mitke Molla, Vice President for Research and Technology Transfer of AAU and a member of the ARUA Board of Vice Chancellors .
Overview of the COE and ARUA projects
Speakers : Dr. Mesfin Gebremichael, Assistant Professor, Director, African Research Universities Alliance(ARUA), CoE for Post-Conflict Societies, Institute for Peace and Security Studies(IPSS), Addis Ababa University (AAU)
Dr. Fana Gebresenbet, Assistant Professor, PhD Program Coordinator, Institute for Peace and Security Studies(IPSS), Addis Ababa University (AAU) .
COE for Post Conflict Societies in Africa: Research Focus and Priorities
- Dr. Daniel Gebreegiziabher, Assistant Professor, Academic coordinator, Joint MA/PhD in Global Studies- Peace and Security in Africa Global Studies Coordinator, Institute for Peace and Security Studies(IPSS), Addis Ababa University (AAU),
- Yonas Tariku, Lecturer, MA Program Coordinator, Institute for Peace and Security Studies(IPSS), Addis Ababa University (AAU),
- Prof. Oliver Richmond, Researcher in International Relations, Department of Politics / IR, , The University Of Manchester
- Prof. Pamela Machakanja, Director of the Institute of Peace , Leadership and Governance at Africa University, Zimbabwe
- Ms. Michelle Ndiaye, Special Representative of the Chair Person and head of African Union office to DRC
- Prof. Charles Ugochukwu Ukeje, Professor, International Relations ObafemiAwolowo University
- Prof. Heidi Hadson, Professor of International relations, University of the Free State, South Africa.
- Dr. Kasaija Apuuli Kasajia, Associate Professor of Political Science and Public Administration, Makerere University, Uganda.