The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) of Addis Ababa University (AAU) was established in 2007 with a task of offering quality education and capacity training in the specialized field of peace and security to students and other stakeholders, as well as foster peace and security through research, dialogue and other outreach activities in Ethiopia, the greater Horn of Africa and across Africa.
The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) hosts the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Post Conflict Societies. The main objective of the CoE is to facilitate and advance education and training, and African-led research knowledge generation and dissemination in conflict prevention, management, and post-conflict reconstruction and development by providing a platform for learners and educators at national, regional, continental and global levels.
The CoE, in partnership with the Universities of Lagos (Nigeria), Makerere (Uganda) and Sheffield (UK) won a grant from ARUA-GCRF Research Excellence Call. The research project, Migration, Urbanisation, and Conflict in Africa (MUCA), examines the interlinkages between the three key processes in nine African cities. The CoE thus is now interested to recruit a Post-Doctoral Researcher for the research project.
The Post-Doctoral Researcher will be actively engaged in the fieldwork, analysis, and writeup in the research project.
3. Tasks and Deliverables
- Closely work with the PI and Co-Is based in Ethiopia and other countries to achieve the key objectives of the research project;
- Contribute to the overall publication strategy and dissemination of results of the project;
- Collect and systematically review the available literature on related themes;
- Plan and conduct fieldwork in Addis Ababa and Jigjiga
- Produce research reports, policy briefs, at least one article in a leading journal, one book chapter and other research products;
- Draw policy lessons based on the research and use the same for training sessions and for writing policy briefs;
- Closely work with relevant actors to smoothly conduct the research, as well as to promote uptake of the findings of the research;
- Undertake other activities as required by the project’s PI.
4. Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of a Ph.D. degree in the social sciences, preferably in Development Studies, Political Science, and Peace and Security Studies;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of post-conflict societies and migration, urbanization and conflict dynamics in African cities;
- Excellent fieldwork and publication experience;
- Confident use of IT systems and packages, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook); and
- Fluent in written and spoken English
One-year full time with the possibility of renewal.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, a CV not longer than 3 pages (highlighting major publications), and a recent writing sample to the email address: email@example.com till the 7th of January 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.